RESERVE YOUR SEAT TODAY
A Conversation on RACE and POLITICS
Sponsored by DC Women in Politics
Sunday, June 23, 2013
3:00 - 5:00 PM
Greater Washington Urban League
2901 14th Street, NW
(corner 14th & Harvard near Columbia Heights Metro)
- Franklin Garcia, President, DC Latino Caucus
- Sandra Jowers-Barber, Ph.D., Professor, University of the District of Columbia
- Susan Meehan, Dupont Circle Activist, Council of Churches
- Anita Bellamy Shelton, former Director, DC Office of Human Rights
- Frank Smith, Director, African American Civil War Memorial & Museum; former Ward One Councilmember
RACE and POLITICS in DC -- an honest dialogue among diverse groups. An open discussion about what is being whispered in private -- "Race Based Voting"
Issues to be discussed:
- To what extent does "race based voting" exist?
- What is its origin? -- impact of gentrification; reaction to prosecution of Councilmembers
What can be done:
- to promote a better quality of life for all residents
- to accept personal responsibility
- to develop community education speakers and meetings
- to encourage the Mayor to promote a “one city” that celebrates diversity
Do you like this page?